St. Mark’s held its first service in October, 1939, in a neighborhood theater. Before the end of that year, St. Mark’s had its first priest, numerous volunteers, and preliminary plans for a church building. On August 8, 1940, Bishop Quin broke ground for a church on 3816 Bellaire Boulevard, and on September 29, the cornerstone was laid. The building was dedicated in 1941 and St. Mark’s made the transition from mission to parish.
From that time, the church grew and played a prominent role in life of the larger community. In 1959, St. Mark’s established a Day School for pre-schoolers which has now grown into St. Mark’s Episcopal School, educating more than 400 girls and boys from age two through eighth grade.
The campus has grown due to various building projects, but St. Mark’s still resides in its original church building, beautifully refurbished in 2012.
St. Mark's Episcopal Church is a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.
As Episcopalians, we believe that Holy Scriptures are the revealed word of God, which inspired the human authors of the Scripture, and which is interpreted by the Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Nicene and Apostles’ Creeds are the foundational tenets of our faith. The teachings and beliefs of the Episcopal Church can be found in the Catechism in the back of the Book of Common Prayer. The two primary Sacraments given to the Church by Christ are Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist.
3816 Bellaire Blvd. | Houston, TX 77025 | 713.664.3466 | firstname.lastname@example.org |
Copyright © 2018 St. Mark's Episcopal Church - All Rights Reserved.