St. Mark’s held its first service in October 1939 in a neighborhood theater. Before the end of that year, St. Mark’s had its first priest, numerous volunteers, and preliminary plans for a church building. On August 8, 1940 Bishop Quin broke ground for a church on 3816 Bellaire Boulevard, and on September 29 the cornerstone was laid. The building was dedicated in 1941 and St. Mark’s made the transition from mission to parish.
From that time, the church grew and played a prominent role in life of the larger community. In 1959, St. Mark’s established a Day School for pre-schoolers which has now grown into St. Mark’s Episcopal School educating more than 400 girls and boys from age two through eighth grade.
The campus has grown due to various building projects, but St. Mark’s still resides in its original church building, beautifully refurbished in 2012.